Thursday, June 28, 2012

Waldo Canyon Fire Update

As you almost certainly know, our beloved city of Colorado Springs is in the midst of a firestorm.

The Waldo Canyon fire has destroyed hundreds of homes and displaced tens of thousands of residents. It is very dry and very hot and very windy, and the fire continues to spread. It has been ~5% contained for days. "Erratic" wind conditions continue to fan the flames and spread the destruction. "I hate wind ... Wind is big factor in how we do this fire. It won't stay in the same place. The winds keep shifting on us." -- Incident Commander Rich Harve


But... on the positive side. No casualties have been reported.  Over a 1,000 brave men and women are battling the blaze. And the city has experienced an outpouring of generosity. Yesterday I watched a multi-block long line of cars waiting to make donations at the local Food bank. I attended a prayer meeting at my church and felt the strength of our community. We will survive this.

The fire is centered on the west side of the city and my family and I are on the EAST side. We are safe.



So what can you do?
*PRAY. Pray for our displaced community. Pray for rain. Pray for the firefighters. Pray for the people at the shelters. PRAY. And know that we aren't alone. Pray for all the victims of all the fires raging across the Colorado and the West.

* Make a donation to the Red Cross: http://www.redcross.org/

*If you're local, please see http://www.gazette.com/articles/evacuees-140905-fire-peak.html


 Bless you, all -- Merrick

3 comments:

  1. My heart aches...and I am praying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to live in the Front Range about a decade ago and remember when forest fires came up to edge of Boulder. It was scary and surreal all at the same time, especially at night.

    Hope the wind dies down and rain comes soon for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been, and will continue to pray. So glad your family is safe.

    ReplyDelete