Friday, August 3, 2012

Washington DC Smashbook

For our recent trip to Washington DC, I decided to try a new approach to scrapping and journaling the trip as we went along -- a Smashbook.

Before we left I collected some materials I thought would be easy and helpful for making such a book - adhesives, scissors, die cuts, etc.

And so, on my trip I began with collecting ephemera (which I do on every trip! Brochures, Postcards, Pressed Pennies, etc.) and dove in with journaling.

The book isn't quite finished but it's close! I cannot believe I have  a scrapbook of a trip I took a WEEK ago to share with friends and family!

 Things I love about my Smashbook vs other projects I've done  are 1) TONS of journalling! and 2) it's super interactive! I've got things that flip and pockets to open and things that fold! It's so fun!
 For example on this page about NASA Goddard, I've got two postcards that flip down to reveal journaling! (If you see an empty journal space I'm probably saving it for my oldest son, who was also on the trip, to fill in)
 The little pocket on this page has Squished Pennies in it. The tabbed solar flare photo is actually lenticular (holographic).
 And flips up to reveal a photo!
 I added envelopes and pockets to lots of pages to hold brochures and papers. And used postcards in place of photos as I went along, adding photos later.
 This map was cut from a hotel brochure.
 The folded paper here is a map of the cemetery. I took along some die cuts with me and added others after I returned.
 There are a few of these small pockets holding Smithsonian tokens and pressed pennies.
 I am adding photo collages now (in fact I am just waiting on ink to print some more) -- this one is of photos of the National Air and Space Museum.
 I forgot to bring a white pen so journalling on dark papers had to wait til I returned home.

This book is a little fatter than I expected. But I LOVE it!!!

7 comments:

  1. omgosh! How cool is that! I love the photo collage and the fantastic air and space shots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so so cool!! I am terrible at using Smashbooks. You are awesome. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this!!! Great way to keep track of all the memoribilia, esp in DC :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, you really filled it up, didn't you!?! LOVE the photo collages and coin pockets. Great Smash!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! So cool to have this to look thorough so soon after your trip too. The photos are fantastic. Love all the flips you made throughout. A very nice treasure!

    ReplyDelete