What have you been reading?
I've been doing very little scrapping lately but I've been doing a good amount of READING!
Since the beginning of this year --
To begin with, I've decided to participate in the Louisa Challenge over at Got My Reservations... so I read Little Women, attempted a Louisa May Alcott biography but concluded that Louisa's parents were too insane for me to continue reading about (but I did read a short biography of her)! and An Old Fashioned Girl (which I had never read before and ADORED!) Little Men is coming up next. It's not too late to come and play!
I got sucked into two Jane Austen Fan Fics (A Weekend With Mr. Darcy and Searching for Pemberley) and resucked into two Jane Austen novels (Sense and Sensibility and Northanger Abbey) And along the way found myself watching the first season of Downton Abbey (remember how I said I was sick? This passed a good amount of sicky time!) and reading Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere Castle (which restruck an old interest in things Ancient Egypt.)
In need of some humor I turned to Laurie Notaro's We Thought You Would Be Prettier (whose work my friend Cass introduced me to long since!) Always good when I need something light. Also in need of something mainstream, the library checkout lane's tempting new releases got me reading A Love that Multiplies.
I particularly needed something light after reading CS Lewis' Mere Christianity. Which is still in my head, still be pondered... months later and probably will be all my life. On that front I've got a daily devotional and a Bible study going. I also recently read The Real Mary which was quick and insightful.
Right Now I'm back to my more usual fair with Alison Weir's Wars of the Roses (after a diversion into Northanger Abbey) and Stephen Lawhead's Hood I've read most of Weir's popular histories and enjoyed them immensely. I've read Lawhead's Pendragon Cycle , some of the Dragon King, Byzantium, Patrick and all of the Celtic Crusade Chronicles. I remember enjoying them but it's been quite a while since I picked one up.



Your getting baptized! What. Wonderful decision you have chosen to make!!! I am so excited for you and your decision!! Of course I'll be praying! I have been praying for you for sometime now! I wished I was going to be there!!! So very exciting!
ReplyDeleteLove your choices! Louisa's parents were crazy, weren't they? I still wonder what Emerson saw in her father...
ReplyDeleteI have to stay away from Pride and Prejudice for a little while - it has a way of consuming me. I'm not familiar with Alison Weir - if I check out The War of The Roses, will I be sucked in for weeks or months? :)
I went on a weekend road trip and listened to two audio books: The Soloist and Zeitoun. Both were fantastic (I did skip a little in Zeitoun, some parts seemed a little repetitive).